UpdateRegister for this event
Date & time
The Japan Update 2017: Seeking new directions, will be the fifth Japan Update since the series was established in 2013.
The Update is the flagship conference of the Australia-Japan Research Centre (AJRC) in Crawford School of Public Policy, and the Japan Institute at The Australian National University. Bringing together experts from Australia, Japan and around the region the Update provides a comprehensive overview of Japan’s current economic and political landscape, gives an ‘update’ on the country’s recent developments and future directions.The 2017 Update will focus on the economy, politics and innovation.
A number of distinguished and prominent scholars will be sharing their insights and latest research on Japan, including:
- Mr Toshitaka Sekine, Director-General of the Research and Statistics Department, Bank of Japan
- Professor Fumiaki Kubo, University of Tokyo and Senior Fellow at The Tokyo Foundation
- Professor Reiko Aoki, Commissioner, Japan Fair Trade Commission
- Professor Graham Durant, Director, Questacon, The National Science and Technology Centre
- Professor Rikki Kersten, Dean, School of Arts, Murdoch University
- Associate Professor Nobuhiro Aizawa, Kyushu University
- Mr Josh Flannery, Director, FounderLab, UNSW
- Professor Brian Anderson, ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Dr Shiro Armstrong, Co-Director, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Professor Jenny Corbett, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Emeritus Professor Peter Drysdale, East Asia Bureau of Economic Research, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Professor Ippei Fujiwara, Co-Director, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Dr Llewelyn Hughes, Crawford School of Public Policy
- Dr Amy King, Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs
The program for the day will be available shortly.
The Japan Update 2017 is supported by funding from the Australia-Japan Foundation of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Japan Foundation, Sydney.
Previous Japan Updates have brought leading academics from Australia, Japan and the US who are internationally recognised for their contributions to Japan research. Speakers at Updates have included Professors Gerald Curtis (Columbia University), Hitoshi Tanaka (University of Tokyo), Richard Samuels (MIT), Yoshihide Soeya (Keio University), Tessa Morris-Suzuki (ANU) and Peter Drysdale (ANU).
Take a look at previous Updates, podcasts and speakers via the links below.