Date & time
2017 was the 60th anniversary of the 1957 agreement on commerce between Australia and Japan in 1957. The economic, trade and investment relationship has grown exponentially over that period but in recent years, other elements of cooperation have come into focus.
2018 has been designated the Year of Japan by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and this conference provides a timely opportunity to examine the new areas of cooperation between the two nations in a rapidly changing global and regional environment.
This symposium will feature world-class expertise from academics, senior government representatives and policymakers, providing evidence-based insights and fresh thinking about the ways forward in development assistance, peace and security building, climate change and energy security, and frameworks for regional cooperation. It will also consider the role the long partnership between Australia and Japan has to play in these important policy areas.
- Distinguished Professor Jenny Corbett, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- Ms Anthea Mulakala, The Asia Foundation
- H.E. Mr Vanndy Hem, Under Secretary of State, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Cambodia
- Dr Haruo Nakagawa, University of the South Pacific, view presentation slides
- Ms Jacqui De Lacy, Abt Associates
- Professor Akiko Fukushima, Aoyama Gakuin University, view presentation slides
- Dr Anbumozhi Venkatachalam, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, view presentation slides
- Dr Jennifer Hunt, National Security College, ANU
- Dr Muhamad Chatib Basri, University of Indonesia, view presentation slides
- Professor Amy Searight, Center for Strategic and International Studies, US
- Professor Fukunari Kimura, Keio University
- Mr Toshikazu Masuyama, Former director general of Ministry of Economy , Trade and Industry, Japan, view presentation slides
- Ms Darshana Baruah, Research Analyst, Carnegie India
- Associate Professor Llewelyn Hughes, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- Dr David Envall, Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs, ANU, view presentation slides
- Dr Sue Thompson, National Security College, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- H.E. Mr Sumio Kusaka, Ambassador of Japan to Australia
- Professor Brian Schmidt AC FAA FRS, Vice-Chancellor, ANU
- Mr Richard Maude, Deputy Secretary, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia
The symposium is jointly organised by the ANU Japan Institute and the Embassy of Japan in Australia.