Date & time
This series will develop your skills to confidently undertake a basic benefit-cost analysis on a project or policy, capably review reports prepared by consultants, and prepare regulatory impact statements.
A combination of essential concepts, case studies and practical exercises is used, without the use of mathematics. The series is suitable for both beginners and as a refresher for those with an economics background.
Cost: Before 30 October 2020: $2,195 for enrolment in the Series (saving of $195 off the price of purchasing each day separately)
After 30 October 2020: $2,495 for enrolment in the Series (saving of $195 off the price of purchasing each day separately) OR $1,195 per day: Introduction to Benefit Cost Analysis and Methods for estimating benefits.
Group discounts available.
Course overview Introduction to Benefit Cost Analysis (Day 1)
A key feature of this course is an introduction to investment analysis using practical exercises such as the purchase of a house. Costs and revenues (benefits) are adjusted for inflation, for the time value of money (using discounting), for different project periods (using equivalent annual values), and for risk (using expected values, decision trees, and Monte Carlo analysis, which is increasingly used by commercial entities). Participants will conduct simple arithmetic calculations in shared learning experiences, and should bring a simple hand-held electronic calculator.
Methods for estimating benefits (Day 2)
Drawing on basic techniques, this course explores different methods of estimating benefits, including in seemingly unquantifiable areas such as the environment. Uncertainty about the future is addressed through the ‘real options’ approach which is particularly relevant to areas such as adaptation to climate change. The course concludes with comparisons of benefit-cost analysis with cost-effectiveness analysis and multi-criteria analysis.
A combination of essential concepts, case studies and practical exercises is used, without the use of mathematics. The schedule is subject to alteration to suit participants’ particular interests.
Learning outcomes include:
- Confidently undertake a basic benefit-cost analysis of a project or policy
- Competently review reports prepared by consultants
- Prepare regulatory impact statements
Who should attend?
This Series is suitable for both beginners and as a refresher for those with an economics background. Simple mathematics of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and area of triangle (0.5 times the base and the height) will be used.
Online training: How it works
This is a real-time, date-specific course, in which you will join live classes, engage and connect with experts, other course participants and the Executive Education team. Here’s how it works:
- Pre-course live session. This is an opportunity for you to grab a cuppa and join our meet and greet before the course commences.
- Practice + Study. Set aside up to 2 hours per day – this time commitment will vary depending on how deeply you choose to engage with the material. It is up to you.
- Course pack. Each participant will receive a carefully curated workbook, which includes everything you need to guide you through the course.
- Live sessions with presenter. This is a specified date and time for you to come together with the presenter and other participants to consolidate your learning.
- Post-course. On completion of the course, you will receive your post-course resources for your reference and further learning.
Why choose online training?
- No time off work – study and practice when you can.
- Busy schedule? No problem, you can go at your own pace, join just the live classes, and do the course work whenever suits you best. We know that work and family obligations can be overwhelming. Mix and match the schedule to fit your life.
- No travel. This is a course right at your fingertips. With no travel expenses, this is a very affordable option for high-level training with world-leading experts.
- Live interaction with world-leading experts. You’ll have direct access to all the best resources and trainers.
- Working remotely? With the online and distance format, we welcome participants from around the world to join us.
What if I can’t make a live session? No problem, we understand you are busy. Live sessions are recorded and transcribed for you to catch up in your own time.
What if I’m in a different time zone? All advertised course times are scheduled in Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) otherwise known as GMT+11. Convert for your time zone here.
What if I am not tech savvy? As long as you have access to a phone or computer, you’ll have no problems. This is a low-tech course designed for everyone. If needed our team is here to help – contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I have questions? We would love to hear from you. Contact our team at email@example.com