Date & time
The Australia-Japan Research Centre (AJRC) and the ANU Japan Institute will once again co-host the annual Japan Update.
The annual Update is designed to give a comprehensive overview of Japan’s current economic and political landscape, and future directions. Speakers participating in the Update are at the cutting edge of politics, economics and trade and each session will focus on opportunities and challenges in these fields.
This year will focus on four key areas: economics, soft power/cultural diplomacy, education, and Japan and its neighbours, and will feature a keynote speech on Japan’s regional development.
Presenters and discussants include:
- Professor David Weinstein, Columbia University
- Professor Masahiko Takeda, Hitotsubashi University
- Mr Hitoshi Tanaka, Japan Research Institute
- Professor Jenny Corbett, ANU
- Professor Ippei Fujiwara, ANU and Keio University
- Mr Shogo Arai, Governor of Nara Prefecture
- Mr Murray McLean AO, Australia-Japan Foundation
- Professor Christine Yano, University of Hawaii
- Professor Koichi Iwabuchi, Monash University
- Professor Yasushi Watanabe, Keio University
- Associate Professor Simon Avenell, ANU
- Mr Sourabh Gupta, Samuels International
- Professor Evelyn Goh, ANU
- Emeritus Professor Peter Drysdale AM, ANU
- Dr Shiro Armstrong, ANU
Japan Update is supported by the Australia-Japan Foundation, the Japan Foundation and the Research School of Asia and the Pacific.
Registration is essential.
Tuesday 13 October: Special event at the Japan Foundation on ‘Soft Power and Cultural Diplomacy’ in Sydney.