Focus on ASEAN and low-income/transitional/developing countries
Chantarat, S., Chheng, K., Kim, M., Oum, S., Samphantharak, K, and Sann, V. (2015). ‘The Effects of Natural Disasters on Households’ Preferences and Behaviours: Evidence from Cambodian Rice Farmers After the 2011 Mega Flood, in Sawada, Y. and S. Oum (eds.), Disaster Risks, Social Preferences, and Policy Effects: Field Experiments in Selected ASEAN and East Asian Countries’, ERIA Research Project Report FY2013, Jakarta: ERIA. No.34, pp.85-130.
Chheng, K & Suruga, T. (2006). “Empirics of Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: the Role of Human Capital and Financial Development,” (http://www.research.kobe-u.ac.jp/gsics-publication/jics/chheng&suruga_13...),” Journal of International Cooperation Studies, Vol.13, no.3.
OTHER RESEARCH ACTIVITIES:
- Household survey for the Economic Research Institute for ASIAN and East Asia conducted in 32 villages of four rice-growing provinces of Cambodia.
- Cambodia Rice Sector Survey Report “CAMBODIA: Future Growth Rate of Rice Production Uncertain”. Commodity Intelligence Report (2010, January). A joint rapid rice sector assessment between the United States Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service, the Economic Research Service, and the United States Embassy in Phnom Penh for use in the analysis of global rice production and in the preparation of policy recommendations for the U.S. global food security initiative. To access at http://www.pecad.fas.usda.gov/highlights/2010/01/cambodia/
- Cambodia Interagency Conflict Assessment Framework Report. A joint survey with United States Agency for International Development from Washington and Phnom Penh, United States State Department and United Stated Embassy in Phnom Penh, and PACOM (Honolulu). 2009 (April). To access at http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/187970.pdf
- Rural community irrigation sector development projects in several Cambodian provinces under Northeast Irrigation Sector Project and Cambodian-Australian Agricultural Extension Project.
- Rural credits and saving groups among rice farmers in rural provinces, including similar projects run by FAO, WFP, and other NGOs.
Scholarships and fellowships
Endeavour Awards Postgraduate Research Award
• 2014–2015: Research Assistant, Indonesian Project Australian National University
• 2008–2012: Economic and Commercial Specialist, United States Embassy, Phnom Penh
• 2008–2008: Research Consultant for Poverty Reduction, Regional Economic, and Economic Development Sectors, Cambodia Development Resource Institute (CDRI)
• 2010–2012: Lecturer in Development Economics, Royal University of Phnom Penh and University of Puthisastra Subjects taught: Development Economics, Microeconomics, and Macroeconomics
• 2007–2012: Senior Lecturer in Economics and Business, University of Cambodia
• 2007–2008: Program Assistant for Private Sector and Economic Development Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
• 2005–2007: Socio-Economic Specialist for ADB’s North-West Irrigation Sector Projects and Cambodian-Australian Agricultural Extension Project, ARUNA Technology Ltd., Cambodia
AFFILIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP
- Member to the World Economics Association, United Kingdom
- Cambodia Country Coordinator for the Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) Project, Department of Political Science, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Non-Resident Handa Fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), United States
Crawford School of Public Policy
ANU College of Asia & the Pacific
J.G. Crawford Building No. 132
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2601 Australia