Honorary Professor of Economics, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics
BAgEc (Hons) (UNE), MEc, Hon. Dr. Econ. (Adelaide), MA (Chicago), MA, PhD (Stanford), FASSA
Following doctoral studies at the University of Chicago and Stanford University, I joined the ANU’s then-Research School of Pacific Studies as a Research Fellow in Economics in 1977. I moved to the University of Adelaide’s Economics Department in 1984, was its foundation Executive Director of the Centre for International Economic Studies from 1989, and was appointed to a Personal Chair in 1991 and to the George Gollin Chair in 2007. I was on extended leave as a Ford Foundation Visiting Fellow in Seoul during 1980-81, as a Visiting Fellow at the University of Stockholm’s Institute for International Economic Studies in 1988 (sabbatical), at the GATT (now WTO) Secretariat in Geneva as deputy director of economic research during 1990-92, and at the World Bank’s Development Research Group in Washington DC as Lead Economist (Trade Policy) during 2004-07. I rejoined ANU part-time in April 2012. I am also Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Washington DC-based International Food Policy Research Institute (www.ifpri.org) and President of the international Policy Advisory Council of the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (www.aciar.gov.au).
- Being appointed a Fellow of Europe’s London-based Centre for Economic Policy Research (1992), of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia (1994), of the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (2002), of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (formerly American Agricultural Economic Association, 2004), of the American Association of Wine Economists (2009), and of the Asia and the Pacific Policy Society (2012);
- Being conferred with Doctor of Economics (honoris causa), University of Adelaide, 2014 and receiving a Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of New England, 2016;
- Serving on the editorial boards of numerous economics journals, and as a consultant to the major international economic agencies;
- Being the first economist to be appointed to a GATT or World Trade Organization Dispute Settlement Panel (on the EU’s banana policies), 1996-2008;
- Being a member of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Advisory Panel to produce the first White Paper on Australia’s Foreign and Trade Policies, 1996-97;
- Receiving several publication prizes from both the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (formerly American Agricultural Economic Association) and the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, including the AAEA’s Bruce Gardner Memorial Prize for Applied Policy Analysis (2010); and
- being appointed a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC), in June 2015.
The economics and political economy of international trade, economic development, agricultural economics, and the interface between them.
Updated: 21 March 2023/Responsible Officer: Crawford Engagement/Page Contact: CAP Web Team