Date & time
The Malaysia and Singapore Update 2013 brings together experts to discuss and debate key issues that influence governance and policymaking, and recommend ways to respond to the changing perceptions and societal expectations of Malaysia and Singapore.
Malaysia and Singapore are two of Southeast Asia’s most successful political, social and economic countries. The Barisan Nasional (BN) and the People’s Action Party (PAP) are the longest serving elected governments in Malaysia and Singapore, respectively. There are many explanations for their durability, including a popular view about their ability to generate continued economic growth while ensuring stability. In recent years, there has been significant discontent among Malaysian and Singaporean citizens with the ruling coalition party, as evidenced through recent elections. Social media in both countries became platforms that spread strident criticisms on the two governments. The proven policies of delivering economic progress and social stability, so successful in the past decades, now seem insufficient to guarantee the BN and the PAP victory at elections.
Some speakers at this year’s Update include:
- Emeritus Professor Mohamed Ariff Abdul Kareem, International Centre For Education In Islamic Finance
- Emeritus Professor Clive Kessler, University of New South Wales
- Professor Anthony Milner, The Australian National University
- Professor AB Shamsul, National University of Malaysia
- Associate Professor Meredith Weiss, University at Albany, State University of New York
- Associate Professor Shandre Thangavelu, National University of Singapore
- Associate Professor Bridget Welsh, Singapore Management University
Plus many more prominent speakers.
The Malaysia and Singapore Update 2013 is presented by Crawford School of Public Policy, Department of Political and Social Change, and the Southeast Asia Institute and Research School of Asia and the Pacific at The Australian National University.
Registration is essential, please register separately by Day 1 or Day 2 via http://malaysiasingaporeupdate2013.eventbrite.com.au/