Prior to joining the Crawford School in 2009, Stephen was Chief Economist at the Australian Agency for International Development. He worked from 1994 to 2005 at the World Bank, first in Washington and then in Delhi, where he was Lead Economist for India. In 2008, he worked on the Garnaut Review on Climate Change, where he managed the Review’s international work stream.
Stephen serves as a Board Member for CARE Australia. He has previously served on the Board of the Pacific Institute of Public Policy, and on the Advisory Council of the Asian Development Bank Institute. He is the Director of the Development Policy Centre, as well as the International and Development Economics teaching program at the Crawford School.
- CRWF8006 Climate Change Policy and Economics
- IDEC8007 Aid and Development Policy
- CWRF8000 Governments, Markets and Global Change
Ph. D. Students
- Cate Rogers, working on remote rural poverty in PNG
- Alicia Molloun, working on a strategic analysis of American aid to Pakistan
- Pepe Khennavong, working on the politics of aid and the role of non-traditional donors in Laos.
- Hyungsup Lee, working on regional variation in climate change mitigation costs
- Kurnya Roesad, working on barriers to renewable energy adoption in Indonesia
- Shenghao Feng, working on climate change mitigation challenges in China
- Aid policy
- Pacific and PNG
- International climate change policy