Kaliappa Kalirajan is an applied economist and policy analyst. He received his Masters in Mathematical Economics from Madurai University (1970), Master of Letters in Econometrics from Madurai University (1973) and Doctor of Philosophy in Economics from the Australian National University (1979).
Before joining the Crawford School, he was a Professor of International Economics at the Foundation for Advanced Studies on International Development (FASID) and the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) in Tokyo. Before joining FASID and GRIPS, he was Deputy Executive Director to Executive Director, in the Australia South Asia Research Centre at The Australian National University (1994-2000).
His areas of major interests include macroeconomic and trade policies and reform, poverty reduction, and sources of growth. His work on the stochastic frontier production function methodology has given him international recognition. He has several research publications in these areas in reputed academic and policy-oriented journals. He received a special commendation award from the Indian Econometric Society for his outstanding work in frontier production function analyses in December 1994. He has authored, co-authored, or edited a dozen books published by reputed international publishers.
He has taught and supervised students for PhD in Economics and Econometrics in the following universities: Madurai University, India; National University of Singapore; University of the Philippines; The Australian National University; Sophia University, Japan; International University of Japan; International Christian University, Japan, and National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, Japan. He is also a visiting professor at the Madras School of Economics, Chennai, India. He is an Advisor to the FASID-GRIPS Joint Graduate Program in International Development Studies taught at GRIPS in Tokyo. He has been a consultant to different national and international organizations.
He is currently serving in the editorial board of the following journals:
- International Journal of Applied Economics, Sage Publications, New Delhi.
- Agricultural Economics, Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE), Blackwell Publishers.
- The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO and Blackwell publishers.
- Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, The Australian Society of Agricultural Economists and Blackwell publishers.
- Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier Publications.
- Indian Economic Journal, Indian Economics Society, Academic Publications.
- Modelling and Analysis of Sources of Growth.
- Regional economic groupings and International Trade.
- Macroeconometric modeling and Policy Analysis.