Research Grants Recipients
The research grants are awarded on a competitive basis, where research proposals are assessed on academic quality, research potential and prospect for long term cooperation between Indonesian and Australian institutes. The grants provide funding of up to A$15,000 per grant, intended to cover the cost of initiating new research activities, such as travel costs, field work, data collection or research assistance.
- Dr Amalinda Savirani (Gadjah Mada University) and Professor Edward Aspinall (The Australian National University). Research topic: Jakarta at the crossroads: between programmatic and primordial politics in the 2017 gubernatorial election.
- Professor Rijal M Idrus (Hasanuddin University) and Mr Clint Cameron (Charles Darwin University). Research topic: Quantifying biodiversity benefits resultant from ecological mangrove rehabilitation of abandoned aquaculture ponds in Tiwoho (North Sulawesi).
- Dr Muthia Elma (Lambung Mangkurat University) and Dr David K Wang (The University of Queensland), with research topic: Implementation of water desalination application via inorganic based membranes technology for wetland communities in South Kalimantan.
- Mr Agus Budhiman (AP2HI) and Professor Kate Barclay (University of Technology Sydney), with research topic: Identifying key social and economic dynamics in Indonesia’s small scale tuna fisheries: a scoping study.
- Dr Luky Djanuardi Djani (Article 33 Indonesia) and Dr Anita George (James Cook University). Research topic: Toward Indonesia green economy in climate change mitigation: designing sharing-incentive scheme for sustainable peatland management.
- Professor Amitya Kumara (Gadjah Mada University) and Associate Professor David Evans (The University of Sydney). Research topic: Developing a strategy for building teacher’s capacity to support all children in pesisir Gunung Kidul.
- Dr Fritz Edward Siregar (The University of Indonesia) and Dr Melissa Crouch (The University of New South Wales). Research topic: Administrative justice in Indonesia.
- Mr Umbu Raya (Nusa Cendana University) and Professor Bruce Chapman (The Australian National University). Research topic: What are the technical and economic constraints preventing households in Indonesia’s eastern provinces from using solar cells?.
- Professor Riwanto Tirtosudarmo (Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI)) and Dr Robbie Peters (The University of Sydney). Research topic: The GoJek problem: congestion, informality and innovation in urban transport in Indonesia.
- Dr Andrey Damaledo (BAPPEDA of NTT Provincial Government) and Associate Professor Andrew McWilliam (The Australian National University). Research topic: Both sides of the border: citizens, migrants and the new trans-nationalism among Indonesian in Timor-Leste.
- Mr Anggun Susilo (Brawijaya University) and Dr Yogi Vidyattama (The University of Canberra), with research topic: Sustainability policy toward water and sanitation program in East Nusa Tenggara.
- Dr Rizal Panggabean (Gadjah Mada University), Dr Zulfan Tadjoeddin (University of Western Sydney). Research topic: Why are local elections in Papua most violent?”
- Professor Rijal M Idrus (Hasanuddin University), Dr Lindsay Hutley (Charles Darwin University). Research topic: Towards an improved understanding of mangrove carbon: undertaking a carbon stock assessment of ecologically rehabilitated Indonesian mangrove forests at Tiwoho, North Sulawesi
- Dr Tri Mulyaningsih (Sebelas Maret University), Professor Anne Daly (University of Canberra). Research topic: Skill differentials and wage inequality: a study of the Indonesian labour market.
- Dr Diahhadi Setyonaluri (University of Indonesia), Dr Ariane Utomo (The Australian National University). Research topic: In, out and crossing over: sectoral variations and policy options on women’s employment.
- Dr Firman Witoelar (Survey Meter), Dr Susan Olivia (Monash University). Research topic: Cell phones and price/quality data collection.
- Dr Devanto Shasta Pratomo (Brawijaya University), Dr Kankesu Jayanthakumaran (University of Wollongong). Research topic: Do international labour migration and its remittances help migrant households moving out from poverty? Evidence from East Java.
- Dr Dendi Ramdani (University of Indonesia), Associate Professor Fiona Yap (The Australian National University. Research topic: Collective action against government corruption? Experimental research of Indonesia.
- Dr Hawis Madduppa (Bogor Agricultural University), Dr Joana Dias (University of Western Australia). Research topic: Trial of an early warning system for marine pests in the Banda Island, Moluccas.
- Dr Poppy Ismalina (Gadjah Mada University), Dr Minako Sakai (UNSW). Research topic: Building community resilience after the Merapi volcano disaster: a case study of state and private schemes for economic livelihood recovery initiatives in Central Java.
- Dr Haryo Aswicahyono (CSIS), Professor Hal Hill (ANU). Research topic: Life and death in a dynamic emerging economy: firm level evidence from Indonesia.
- Dr Aidah Husain (Hasanuddin University), Dr Naomi Gardiner (James Cook University). Research topic: Ecological assessment of coral reef fish assemblages across the Spermonde archipelago (Southern Sulawesi) to inform locally sustainable reef management initiatives.
- Professor Ronnie Natawidjaja (Padjadjaran University), Dr Anoma Ariyawardana (University of Queensland). Research topic: Horticulture commercial firm development in Indonesia.
- Dr Joko Mariyono (University of Pancasakti), Professor Tom Kompas (ANU). Research topic:
Social efficiency through internalization of endogenous external costs in intensive vegetable production.
- Dr Nunung Nuryartono (Bogor Agricultural University), Dr Risti Permani (University of Adelaide). Research topic: Local milk for local schools: promoting food security by linking school milk programs (SMPs) with dairy industry development in Indonesia.
- Dr Sudi Mungkasi (Sanata Dharma University), Associate Professor Stephen Roberts (ANU). Research topic: Flood modelling and simulations involving rainfall: case studies in Indonesia.
- Dr Nulwita Maliati (University of Malikulsaleh), Associate Professor John McCarthy (ANU). Research topic: Understanding vulnerability post tsunami and conflict in Aceh.